Alternates and Phases

for questions and conversations regarding estimating projects with The Assistant Estimating System
artek
contributor

Alternates and Phases

Post by artek » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:31 pm

Hi John,

We are getting quite into the gen 2 system. I had occassion to use the alternate /phase feature on a recent estimate. I labled the phases in the appropriate box and was surprised to see that they were treated the same as alternates. I suppose on reflection that is not surprising.

What I need from the phasing feature is to have a breakout of shop and install hours easily available, yet be included in the base bid. Is there a way to get the alt/phase lines to to show the same info as the base bid line on the summary?

artek
contributor

Post by artek » Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:02 pm

On the same topic, I see alternates and phases as two different situations. Phasing is usally part of the base bid and is to make you aware of multiple set-ups and mobilizations. I can't remember the last time I gave break-out pricing per phase. Alternates are usally prices that are beyond the base bid and are options that may or may not be accepted by a GC/owner.

I am currently beginning to explore ways to handle extras on a job. It looks like the atlernate feature will work nicely for this. Is there any way to seperately set the mark-up for alternates? Some contracts specify a set mark-up for extras that is different than the base bid mark-up.

John Whitling
All knowing

Re: Alternates and Phases

Post by John Whitling » Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:05 am

artek wrote:What I need from the phasing feature is to have a breakout of shop and install hours easily available, yet be included in the base bid. Is there a way to get the alt/phase lines to to show the same info as the base bid line on the summary?
If you run detailed material, labor, and item reports you can filter the reports by the alt/phase, as well as other columns, to get the info you need. In the future we might allow for consolidated (AKA short) reports by room, phase, etc. That has been on the list of suggested enhancements for a while.

As to markups, we do not have a method of varying the markups by alt/phase. You can, if you want to, pad an alternate by adding a custom item that is pure dollars in the material area.