tips for evaluating setups

tips for tailoring The Assistant Estimating System for your company's use

tips for evaluating setups

Postby John Whitling » Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:50 am

You'll find that soon after you setup your labor rates and some material costs, you'll want to compare the results of The Asssitant against the pricing that you have been using. Here's some tips to make that process easy. This example relates to cabinetry but the process is similar for counter tops and mouldings too.

1. Remember and account for the labor curving table. That table, located on the labor factors sheet changes your labor calculations based on the total cabinet count within a single specification. Our default includes boosting a variety of labor amounts when you have small quantities. While testing it's best to set all the labor curving entries to a "1", which means there will be no adjustment of labor, based on quantity.

2. After taking off a sample cabinet run a material report to ensure that your material counts measure up with your desired results. Just go to the material report sheet and click for a new report. Adjust the waste factors in the cabinet spec to make changes.

3. The same idea for labor. Just go to the labor report sheet and click for a new report. Adjust the labor factors to make labor changes.

4. Check your markups. To do so go to the project summary and click the project setup button. Adjust markups to taste.

These tips also apply to the counter top and moulding setups too.
Thanks for participating!
John Whitling
All knowing

Re: tips for evaluating setups

Postby randy2710 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:56 pm

John,
I'm not finding anything here that addresses re-mapping the file paths.
We have a new estimator starting Monday and I copied the Assisatant folder from my local C drive to the Network S drive.
I opened the master file, clicked on Tools, Settings, in the application window under the File Options tabs I set the Default Folder to s:\assistant.
I started a new job and it saved the new job to my C drive and the Default Folder is set to my C drive.
what am I doing wrongly?
randy2710

Postby John Whitling » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:22 pm

Randy

Here's the steps as taken from the installation instructions ..

About network server based installations ... We recommend that you first install the system on your
local computer drive. After the installation you can copy The Assistant folder (C:\Assistant) to a
network drive location. You can use any folder name but do not use spaces in your folder path. Also note
that long folder paths will require you to map the parent folder of the Assistant folder as a network drive.
To map a network location go to “my computer”, select “tools” on the menu bar, then click “map network
drive”. Ideally your mapped drive will result in a path such as “M:\Assistant”. Next copy the “Assistant Gen
2" desktop shortcut and paste it on the desktop. Then edit the target of the new shortcut to match the drive
location on your server. The shortcut must point to the “AMS launcher.exe” file. After this you’ll have a
shortcut for your local drive location and a shortcut for the network location.

Does this help?
John Whitling
All knowing

Postby randy2710 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:48 pm

thanks John,
but of course, I didn't think to open a book and read instructions.
My first instinct was to use your forum.
that works now
randy2710

Postby John Whitling » Thu Oct 13, 2011 2:10 pm

Quite alright, Randy. Whatever way we can help .. email .. forum .. phone .. whatever. Glad that took care of it.
John Whitling
All knowing

Return to Setting up The Assistant