about wood veneer casework

tips for tailoring The Assistant Estimating System for your company's use
John Whitling
All knowing

about wood veneer casework

Post by John Whitling » Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:20 am

Our company lays up our own veneer for casework. How can I set up a cabinet spec for this?
Thanks for participating!

John Whitling
All knowing

Post by John Whitling » Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:29 am

Here's some ideas ..
If you lay up your own veneers go to the "finishes" tab and put your veneer part number in the laminate area. Then put your glue line part number in the glue line area and then if you are prefinishing the cabinets select your finish type.

TIP: If you do not enter a glue line material the system will NOT figure glue up labor. If you want the system to calculate glue up labor make sure you enter a glue line.

ANOTHER TIP: If you do other types of cabinetry as well, consider adding an "in house laid up veneer" the the cabinet box design list, in the labor settings area. That way you can have the system make an adjustment for glue line labor, as well as other labor settings, to account for labor changes that might be required for this type of construction.
Thanks for participating!

fetzer
contributor

Veneered Casework

Post by fetzer » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:24 pm

How do I deal with different material prices on veneered casework? Say I am using a veneered door and drawer front with a mel box configuration, but now I have identical boxes with different veneers on both boxes.

John Whitling
All knowing

Post by John Whitling » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:34 pm

Erik

You need to create multiple cabinet specs. Clone the first wood spec you have into a new spec and then change the door front and drawer front materials. You can have up to 4 different specs per bid file. Does that help?

fetzer
contributor

Post by fetzer » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:31 pm

I suppose, I can make a cab spec for Veneer1,2,3,4... and Plam1,2,3,4... but will just have to swap more than I anticipated.

John Whitling
All knowing

Post by John Whitling » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:19 pm

Erik
You don't have to make up those specs ahead of time. Any estimator can edit or clone specs within their bid file, as they are taking off a job.

fetzer
contributor

Post by fetzer » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:07 pm

I am going through the details of how the hours are being generated with Casework and have noticed the Custom Assy Hrs in the labor factors, how do I make a specification add Custom Assy Hrs?

John Whitling
All knowing

Post by John Whitling » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:40 pm

Erik
The labor factors are shared by all the cabinet specs in a bid file, so there isn't a way to have one spec use casework assy labor and another use custom assy labor. The amounts of labor in a spec can be adjusted via the cabinet box, door, and drawer adjustments settings in the labor factors. The additional amounts of labor from these variables are only added in one specific department, however. We default that labor department to the casework assy dept.

If you want, you can copy and paste the labor factors settings to a blank worksheet and then adjust those settings for wood veneer casework, for instance. Then you could copy/paste them in place when you are bidding a wood casework job. However, understand that all the cabinet specs in that job will be those labor factors.

I have considered, a few times, separating the cabinet specs so that you would have a separate set of labor factors for each of the active specs. That would allow you do whatever you wanted to do with labor, on a "per spec" basis. So far most everyone has liked the simpler approach of a single labor table with the cabinet box, door, and drawer adjustments.

Feel free to call 800-721-2189 if you want to extend the conversation further.

fetzer
contributor

Post by fetzer » Wed Mar 11, 2009 5:53 pm

OK. I'm trying to make all of my desires fit within the standard Gen2 and not make any mods. How about changing the descriptions in the Labor Factor sheet? It says "blue text items on a shaded background can be edited during master file setup only."

I am in my master file, is there a guideline I have to follow to change the description? I want "frameless" to say PLAMmel, and "complex frameless" to say Veneered.

John Whitling
All knowing

Post by John Whitling » Wed Mar 11, 2009 7:42 pm

Yes, you can name them whatever you would like, and then input the labor you want to add (or delete by using a negative value) in the entries to the right.

BTW, you can also change the names of the labor departments on the labor rates tab. If you're looking to totally revamp the default settings you might want to rename a labor department or two .. just a thought.