Tracking overhead

tips for tailoring The Assistant Estimating System for your company's use
Hank H
contributor

Tracking overhead

Post by Hank H » Fri May 29, 2009 10:42 am

John,
Is there a way to get a report on overhead amounts? Let me explain...
When we set up a job in our accounting department the costs get separated into basically CAD dept labor, Shop labor, Field labor, Finish labor, Materials (shop & finish separately), Packing & Shipping labor, Shop expenses (overhead), Packing & Shipping expenses (overhead), Field expenses/General conditions (overhead).
We have tried adding the shipping expenses as a "custom auto entry - dollar part each" but wanted to try adding this expense as well as the other expenses through the labor rate tab - overhead rows. So back to the original question: can we get a report on the overhead that would be calculated from the labor rate tab?
Maybe you have another suggestion for handling and reporting these expenses?

John Whitling
All knowing

Post by John Whitling » Fri May 29, 2009 12:35 pm

Hank

You can add it in any of the add'l overhead lines on the labor rates tab. However, were it me I would include shipping as an item in the takeoff using the custom library. That way I can establish so many hours of truck loading time per trip along with road time per trip, and a mileage cost. The best way to do this is to use the A or B variable for the trip miles and then use the A or B as the factor in your mileage charge line in the material tab.

Often customers also include so many hours per trip for truck loading, and then in installation hours they have so many hours for trucking unloading.

I like this method because it gives me actual hourly targets for loading and unloading labor.

Then to use the delivery charge I just call up the custom library, select the delivery, and set the quantity to how many trips I want to figure. instantly all labor needs and truck charges are included.