exporting labels of items

Do you have ideas to make The Assistant better? Share them with us and we'll try to address them in the next update!
altenan

exporting labels of items

Post by altenan » Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:53 am

So one of the things I could really use after winning an estimate would be a repeatable way to use the takeoff fields to print out labels for items/products.
Probably want the job name, room #, item description, qty.

Can you give me some suggestions on how to do this? I have a beginners knowledge of macros for excel , does Quattro support macros and is this a possibility?

John Whitling
All knowing

Post by John Whitling » Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:19 pm

Macros are pretty easy in Quattro, IMO. But for what you want I don't think you even need to do that.

You can copy the area, room, detail, and description line from the estimate and go to a blank sheet, then copy special, and choose to paste formulas as values, and transpose. Does that arrange the data as you would like to printi it?

alantenan
contributor

Post by alantenan » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:03 pm

Your suggestion sounds like it would get the label data I need into fields of a new spreadsheet. How to automate sending the field data to "autofill" labels is the second part of the operation , and the part I am fumbling over. Would I have to create the labels in a separate word processing program? Or is there a way to publish the labels from inside the Quattro project file?

BTW, I've been busily making lots of custom Library items in the past week and using them in quotes. I am at a point of feeling I'va gotten to a working knowledge of the program. I can honestly say I am impressed with your software. Wish we'd made the leap from the Assistant to Gen2 earlier!
Al

John Whitling
All knowing

Post by John Whitling » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:55 pm

Alan
Maybe we should spend some time on the phone. Certainly we could do something that would create labels for every single line item in your bid. What exactly would you be doing with the labels?

Thanks for compliments about Gen 2 over our older program. It's good to hear that stuff every once in a while. :D

alantenan
contributor

Post by alantenan » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:14 am

I am thinking "Item Labels" and not part labels. I want each assembly i.e. cabinet , each type of lineal moulding, each door jamb , each countertop, etc. to have a shipping label. This would identify the Job, room , name and size of item, etc so when items get on site they go to the correct location and are identified by the installers correctly (and not misuded by the site guys).

I think we might have an extra benefit as well , if you have extra item label leftover , we might identify that item as having been forgotten or left off the truck.